Friday, November 10, 2006

Is ageing such a bad thing?

Everything

About a week ago, while applying my lipstick with the compact mirror, i spotted my first wrinkle. A wrinkle on my upper lip, just gently forming in the middle. Now I have been on wrinkle watch for quite a few years, prematurely planning my plastic surgery, plucking at my face, discussing the latest tips in eye creams and face creams with my friends.

However, this was always something that would happen way in the future. As a 34 soon to 35 year old, one has to plan for these kinds of things, but when they suddenly creep up on you, what is a girl to do?

Anyway, i send my friend a sos wrinkle alert mail. Help! I spotted wrinkle. Now, for those of you reading this, up until this point I know, i sound like an absolute fool. However, this only occurs to me once I receive a mail from her listing all the products on the market.

So now I have been considered this ageing thing, and have come to the conclusion that i was acting like a stupid little girl. Firstly, it is inevitable. Growing old should be a wonderful experience, instead, we are obssesed with youth, and why? What is so wonderful about being young? Is there not a time and a season for everything in this life. I dont have any major regrets about my youth, in fact, i look back upon it fondly and would not change a thing about it. So one could reason that not wanting the physical effects that comes with the years, is like trying to hold onto to some fragments of your youth. If technology allowed it, I would really not want to be a 40 year old trapped in the body of a 18 year old. Lets face facts, we dont need to be reminded about the real dangers of our times, and a little line, is minus nothing on the global scale.I am a 34, soon to be 35 year old WOMAN, who has found a wrinkle on her upper lip and I mail my friend for help. How infantile is that?

I have a relatively good life, I am a mother, i am a thinking person, and yet I have a phobia of lines that only tell a story of how my life has worked out and how it will continue to go.I am proud to be me,(ok, so I can loose some weight) and therefore I AM PROUD OF MY WRINKLE, and i will continue to be proud of the little lines that creep up on my face reminding me of how many times I have pursed my lips in anger or frustration, the lines around my eyes, reminding me of how many times I have laughed and smiled and even the ones caused by pain, because then I know that I have lived, and experienced alot of the emotions life has to offer

No comments: