Thursday, November 16, 2006

Friendship across the miles

Today, I started wondering, If long distance relationships usually dont work, is it possible to maintain long distance friendships? And if so, will the status depreciate?

Having now lived in 3 different countries and having made good friends in two of them, I wonder what the practicalities are concerning the maintenance these friendships? Will the friendships just die of natural causes or will they just become aqauintances with fond memories.

Yes, I have always been a firm believer in the fact that you dont have to live in each others pockets to remain friends, and I still beleive it. Or the saying, "We dont see each other for years and we can just pick up where we left off", but is that really true? Are we not an evolving species? Does not the daily events of our lives change our thinking and how we view the world? If I had to meet someone I knew 10 years ago, and that person went away saying," Wow, she is still the same person ," would not that be an insult? Would not my travels, experiences, marriage, motherhood, the list goes on, have changed me? However, if I had changed, be it in a negative or positive way, would old aqaintances not frown up it, saying look at her now?

Forgive my ramblings, the point I am trying to make is, that finding someone you have something or maybe alot in common with is rare, and the older we get the harder it is make new friends. So having found that group, even though they arescattered across 3 continents, can the friendships really last?

No comments: